The Police Department is working with the Save a Star Foundation to act as an official drop off site for the disposal of unused prescription drugs in an environmentally safe manner. A collection box (donated by the Foundation) is located in the front lobby of the Public Safety Building (45 E. Center Avenue).
Participants are required to remove all labels (a permanent marker can be used to blacken out personal information) and write the name of the drugs on the package prior to disposal. Pills are acceptable in any packages including: glass, plastic containers, Ziploc bags or foil.
Acceptable items include:
- Prescription medications (except controlled substances);
- All over-the-counter medications;
- Medication samples;
- Pet Medications;
- Vitamins & Supplements;
- Medicated ointments, lotions, creams and oils;
- Liquid medication in leak proof containers;
- Homeopathic Remedies;
- Suppositories; and
- Pills in any packaging, including glass, plastic container, baggie (Ziploc) or foil.
Items not accepted include:
- Syringes with needles;
- Controlled prescriptions;
- IV bags;
- Bloody or infectious waste;
- Personal care products;
- Empty containers;
- Hydrogen peroxide;
- Illegal drugs & narcotics; and
- Controlled substances.
For additional information concerning items that may be disposed please contact the Police Department's non-emergency number at 847-234-2153.